New Zealand’s total online retail spending in July was 9% higher than a year ago. Spending at local online sites was exceptionally strong - up 18% on July last year.
This is continuing to be heavily driven by Food and Grocery categories.
- Spending growth at offshore sites fell slightly in July, with online spending down 3% on July last year.
- Spending on Entertainment Media at international e-tailers grew strongly but was offset by broad-based softening across most other categories at offshore sites.
- Annual online spending across the retail categories we cover is running at just over $4.6 billion (excl GST).
- This is equivalent to 8% of total retail sales reported in Statistics NZ’s Retail Trade Series (RTS), comparing like-for-like categories.
- Excluding the Food and Liquor sectors from both the RTS and our Index, annual online spending is equivalent to 11.1% of retail sales.