Bridging the gap between print and online!
A QR code (short for Quick Response) is a specific matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by dedicated QR barcode readers and mobile devices. The code consists of modules arranged in a square pattern on a white background. The information encoded can be text, URL or other data.
Recently, QR codes have become more prevalent in marketing circles and have been integrated into both traditional and interactive campaigns. Media where QR codes have been deployed include: billboard ads, guerrilla marketing campaigns, in-store displays, event ticketing and tracking, trade-show management, business cards, print ads, contests, direct mail campaigns, websites, email marketing, TV and couponing just to name a few.
QR codes are of particular interest to marketers, giving them the ability to measure response rates with a high degree of precision allowing for easier ROI calculation.
How Can You Use QR Codes?
QR Codes help you share targeted information with people interested in your business, instantly. Perhaps most importantly, they link visual advertising such as print, press and TV to the device in your audience's pockets.
Lots of small businesses are beginning to use QR Codes to:
- Provide special offers or discounts
- Share exclusive content that complements the in-person experience (often using video)
- Get instant feedback via a poll or short survey
- Make it easy for people to join your email list
- Link to mobile website
Places To Use QR Codes
- In Your Store: If you have a physical location, you can post signage with a QR Code for a website where people can learn more about a featured product, get a special offer, or sign up for your mailing list.
- On Your Business Card: Your business card can only say so much about you, but a direct link to special content can help potential customers get to know you and your business better, right away.
- At Your Events: With QR codes on printed materials, customers can access additional content or promotions during or after the event.
- In your print ads: QR Codes provide an instant call-to-action that can tell your story beyond what can be included in a small ad, and offer special rewards to those who scan it.
- Social Media: Share your QR code on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc
Need to produce a single-use QR Code quickly?
Google's URL shortening service also allows you to create a QR Code. If signed into your Google account when creating the code you'll also benefit by gaining details of how many times the URL is clicked/scanned. This brief video will take you through the steps.
Another way is to use Google's API call.
This method uses Google’s API call, and all you have to do is append what you want to this URL:
So if you want to create a QR code for Alternate Instinct, it would be:
You can adjust the “150×150″ to get the size you want (but make sure both numbers are the same to keep the square aspect ratio), while the appended text at the end can be anything from a link to a slogan.
To quickly access this URL in the future, just add it to your bookmarks bar.
If there is a chance that the URL you are pointing to might change, then you'll need a smarter QR Code. Talk to us for details.
Want different results for different users?
Let's say you have created an iPhone app and an Android app. You don't want to have to create and market separate QR codes. With our smarter QR codes you don't have to. Our codes can react differently based on all sorts of things such as location, device, language, time of day and more. Call us for a solution to your mobile marketing.
Check out our YouTube Channel for examples of how others are using QR Codes to promote their business!
Important Note: All of our QR solutions are database driven. This means that the message attached to a code, or online destination referenced by the code can be changed at any time without any need to change the code itself. It also enables us to provide useful analytics such as what sort of device was used to scan your code and the geographical area where the scan was performed. All codes are highly ledgible.
Need to create and manage multiple QR Codes in-house for products or resources? We can help with that too. Contact us for bulk pricing details!
Need a QR Scanner? Browse to xtk.me for automatic device detection and free installation.
Alternate Instinct can assist with code creation, mobile websites, guerrilla marketing campaigns, in-store promotions and more. Call us today - (9) 550 2640
QR Code® is a registered trademark of DENSO WAVE INCORPORATED.